In 2011 we're undertaking our biggest DIY project yet, refinishing the basement! Here are the posts we've written about planning a basement renovation, and soon to come, the tips and tricks we learned the hard way. Planning a basement renovation? Let us know how it's going, we'd love to hear about it!
Currently: Drywall, mud and tapping
Dreaming Planning Move out Demo Framing Plumbing Electrical Insulation Drywall
- Move our stuff back in
- Dreaming about what it can be
- To hire out or to DIY, that is the question
- Charting your current electrical system
- Keeping the style consistent with the rest of your house
- Basement lighting - natural light
- Heating it up
- Should you pull permits?
- Our final plan
- Minor change of plans - the TV wall
- Update 1: Moving Out
- Update 2: Demolition
- Update 3: More Demo
- Update 4: Done with Demo
- Update 5: Getting Ready for Framing
- Update 6: Asbestos Abatement
- Update 7: Starting to Frame
- Update 8: Re-supporting the house + Follow up
- Update 9: Digging trenches for plumbing
- Update 10: Plumbers!
- Update 11: What it's really like to dig trenches and move concrete
- Update 12: Laying concrete
- Update 13: Plumbing for main floor heat
- Update 14: Half way there
- Update 15: Electrical Problems: How to kill several appliances
- Update 16: Laundry Room Updates: New Washer and Dryer + New Laundry Sink + Soffits, lights, and future plans
- Update 17: Framing's done!
- Update 18: Electrical and plumbing are done!
- Update 19: Spray Foam Insulation
So the pictures make sense, here's the floor plan:
View from base of stairs
Media Room/Game Area (facing West)
Media Room/Game Area (facing East)