Sometimes decorating a room takes more than one try. Or a lot of tries! Our guestroom was one of those. As we mentioned in the guest room reveal, our very first try involved a lot of red-faded-to-pink items. That wasn't the only arrangement we tried that didn't work out.
This was our setup when we traded out the pink bedding for white/gray. We liked the setup and the fact that we used stuff that we already owned - the bedding was new but the curtains, bed skirt, and rug were thing we already owned. But with the gray and dark red, the room was just way too dark. There are two windows but one opens to the porch so it doesn't get any direct light and the other had an awning over it and an air conditioner when the weather turned steamy. This meant very little natural light made it in and the dark red blackout curtains and gray walls were only making it worse.
We decided more white was in order. We moved the red items to the basement bedroom that isn't fully finished (unpainted drywall, unfinished lighting, and plywood floors) and which will only be used when we have an overabundance of company so nothing got thrown out; just shifted around. We picked out some inexpensive curtains from Ikea, a white bed skirt, and a lighter rug. The white fabrics made it feel so much lighter, but we still had almost no sunlight coming in because of the awning and air conditioner.
We didn't think the awning could make that much of a difference, but there are two other rooms on that side of the house that were always really bright. So we decided to remove it and see how it looked.
And then, to liven up the room a bit, we brought in some yellow pillows from the porch and some other yellow accents we had around.
We hung a couple pictures on the wall to the right of the bed but we decided they were just too small for such a large wall. We went back to the drawing board and Katrina went to work arranging some bigger and bolder pieces of art. She set the art up on the bed so we didn't have to pound 100 nails in the wall while we decide how things should be arranged.
Once we settled on an arrangement we put it up on the wall.
After redesigning this room a half dozen times, we finally settled on something we really liked. The moral of the story is, you might not get it right the first time. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. It will come eventually!
And eventually this room might change for us when we decide to grow our family. But for now we've settled on these guest room details and we're moving on to a new project in a new room. Our master bedroom to be exact! We're finishing details there and can't wait to share!